Search This Blog

Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Becoming Elle Woods?


It's that time of year again! Back to School!
(If you look up images of "back to school", one of the related/suggested searches is "sad". Go ahead. It'll make you laugh.)



Now generally, I tend to have mixed feelings about this. This academic year is year/grade 11 for me. (or Junior year if you live somewhere outside the UK) As many people might know, this year is often described as one of the hardest years you will experience during secondary school. For those children that live in the UK, we've got our GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Education). And for those of you that live in the US, you can't run 'cause you've got your SATS! In England, GCSEs pretty much define your life. You spend pretty much the first 4 years of secondary school hearing about them and preparing for them. They decide which university you get into, what career you'll have, who'll hire you among many other wonderful aspects of life. And this is the year that the rest of my life comes down to.

That thought doesn't really scare me for some reason. Okay, it does a little bit. But maybe not as much as it should. Right now, as I'm sitting on my floor, "Walking On Sunshine" blasting from my speakers, I feel confident. Gosh, I fully expected myself to start freaking out. You'll probably see it in one of my later blog posts though, so don't worry: you haven't missed the drama.

But believe me, in no way am I ready for school. You see, I'm only three chapters into "Pride and Prejudice", I have about 59 more to do, I want/need to do other various writing pieces, translate some passages into a multitude of languages and get mentally prepared for the year ahead. And I only have about 5 days left of this glorious freedom.Yet somehow, I'm....dare I say it? Excited?

I like to picture my life as a movie sometimes. Take "Legally Blonde" for example. This is perhaps one of my favourite movies. Fun fact: I won this as a prize on one of my school Ski Trips for the "best dancing" in the talent show and "party" we went to.

Besides being funny and having the wardrobe of my dreams, not only does it basically describe my life (one of my dreams is to go to Law school). The best thing about it is the fact that Elle shocks people and proves them all wrong when they underestimated her. *clapping* There's a particular scene (shown below) that makes me feel content and motivated every time I watch it.


I guess I always imagine myself rising to the top the way she did. That scene just shows me that hard work, perseverance and determination can pretty much take you anywhere. So when I watch that, I pretty much picture myself as Elle Woods. Is that weird?

Side note: Originally, I was going to title this post as "Legally (colour of my hair)" but since my hair colour is black, I feel that may have been a teeny bit controversial. So I decided against it.

Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. They just don't.
- Elle Woods

This year, I've decided to....um....install a new app? Ok, what I basically mean is I've decided to turn over a new leaf. To move on the next page, to write the story of my life, to start with a clean slate. See, I feel like those sentences are just far too cheesy to use. Even for me - the Queen of Teenage Movies and All General Cheesy Crap. I tried to invent my own cliché...or a little phrase, as a cliché is generally something that is overused and incredibly cheesy. However, I believe nobody has used the phrase "install a new app" quite the way I have. But as you can see, um, I think we can rule out "inventor" from my list of possible careers.

 
 
I mean people pretty much say that phrase every year, right? Turning over a new leaf, not my stupid app one. They think they're going to work really hard and about a month (maybe less) into school, they then say "I can't really be bothered anymore."

Trust me; been there, done that.

Perhaps I'm being naïve, but I genuinely believe that this year is going to be my "Elle Woods" year. I'm fully prepared to spend my nights staying in and studying. Same goes for my weekends. I guess maybe the trick to it is believing in yourself. After my summers and the amazing people I now know, I think I'm finally headed in the right direction. What I mean by that is; I know who I am, I know where I want to go and I know what I want to achieve.

On our very first day at Harvard a very wise professor quoted Aristotle: "The law is reason free from passion." Well, no offense to Aristotle, but in my three years at Harvard I have come to find that passion is a key ingredient to the study and practice of law...and of life. It is with passion, courage of conviction, and strong sense of self that we take our next steps into the world. Remembering that first impressions are not always correct, you must always have faith in people, and most importantly...you must always have faith in yourself.
- Elle Woods


So maybe, just maybe, this year will be my "Elle Woods" year. I really, really hope it is.

♥ Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: