Search This Blog

Sunday, 15 December 2013

(Blogmas: Day 15) The To-Do List

 
When the holiday rolls around and I start Winter break, I always find myself reading more than anything. Possibly because during school time I don't actually get the chance to read so I seize this opportunity the minute it arrives.

 
I just finished reading "The Single Girl's To-Do List" by Lindsey Kelk about 5 minutes ago. Granted, it's no Pride and Prejudice but it's definitely worth reading once. Personally I still find Sophie Kinsella the Queen of girly novels, but this one's fab. It's funny, charming and adorable + there's some underlying messages to the whole story.



One of the things I found myself relating to most in the story is the whole to-do list thing that the main character, Rachel, likes doing. So I wanted to talk about making to-do lists today. Get comfy, make some tea and snuggle up in bed now.

So, first thing to say: to-do lists are one of the key elements to productivity.
You get organised once you write down everything you have to do, it keeps you focused on the main points and there's something about seeing it all written down that makes you think, "right, I have to get off my bum and get this crap done." And even if you're one of those people who doesn't really like the idea of lists - I totally get you. Seeing the long list seems so daunting and sometimes a bit intimidating. But just imagine the satisfaction when you get to cross something off the list.

Have you ever had those days, where you've achieved everything you've set out to achieve and done everything you made yourself do? That feeling you got at the end of the day (exhausted but happy) is pretty much what you get with a to-do list. Not only do you get everything done, but you get to relish in that accomplished and satisfied mood everyday if you make lists. Or however often you'd want to make a list.

So I'm encouraging you now, make a to-do list. It doesn't have to be anything amazing.
It could be;
  • What you want to achieve in the next 3 months
  • What you want to do in the future
  • What you need to buy from the store tomorrow
  • What you need to buy for your friends/family for Christmas
  • Your revision list/timetable
Obviously don't limit yourself to just those things though! Those were just suggestions as to what you could make a to-do list about.

There's something about these lists that make them so magical. I know I sound a bit like I've lost my mind, but I promise I have good intentions behind this. Even if you're not really doing anything productive it still helps with getting anything done. For instance, my friend, Gabi, and I were texting each other our to-do lists for this one night we were both being particularly lazy. (And we didn't have homework because it was the end of term.)

Her list:
  • Eating
  • Watch "Come Dine with Me"
  • The Simpsons
  • Youtube
  • Check my blog
  • Tumblr
  • Sleep
My list:
  • Blogging
  • Eating
  • TV
  • Drink water
  • Watch Youtube videos in bed
  • Check Tumblr
  • Sleep
As you can see, it's pretty obvious to tell why Gabi and I are friends. But the point is, we both told each other our lists and we ended up getting everything we wrote down, done! So I'm encouraging you now, write a to-do list. Start with a short one or go in  full throttle with your life goals - doesn't matter. You'll see the results immediately. Go ahead and try it.




Happy Blogmas Everyone!
♥ Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: