Search This Blog

Wednesday, 18 December 2013

(Blogmas: Day 18) Maths VS English

 
Ever since I was little, I always loved maths. It was simple to me and it always clicked. I liked finding the answer and there was always a solution. It was standard and it always made sense.
2 + 2 = 4. Always. It never equalled 5 or 10 or 15. It was reliable and safe. And I always knew when I was right.

 
Then English came along. I say came along, but really it was always there. English was good until I was four. I liked the freedom of making up stories and a lot of my teachers said I was very creative and had an active imagination. I think I made up stories about myself and my family quite frequently. Call me a compulsive liar, but I call it creativity. There was the time I said I could speak fluent Chinese, Japanese, Italian and French. Or the time I said I drove my mum's car all by myself. Or even the time I said I could ride a bike without training wheels and I knew how to skateboard. (I didn't learn to do that until I was 12, and I can't ride a skateboard at all.)

But when I was four, I told one of my teachers a story about how I had met one of the S Club 7 members at my birthday party. Of course this wasn't true, but it made me happy coming up with these amazing scenarios. I was also the BIGGEST S Club 7 fan. I can't remember exactly what she said, but it was something along the lines of she didn't believe me and I was making it up. Which of course I was, but still I didn't like it at all. It made me feel like I hadn't produced the right answer  and I had said the wrong thing.

After a few years, I really began to dislike English. I didn't like sharing my stories and didn't enjoy sharing my ideas. I thought I was going to be judged and laughed at for even suggesting anything. So maths became my favourite subject. I was good at it and I felt secure because there was always a right answer.

But now that I'm older I realise both these subjects are amazing in their own way. (I realise I sound like the biggest nerd right now.)
Maths is great. There's always an answer. But the amazing thing about English is that there's so much freedom to it. Sure not everyone is going to like whatever you say, but there's no right or wrong answer. There's good and bad definitely, but no right or wrong. And I like that.

Side note: Apologies if this doesn't make sense. I'm still suffering from lack of sleep so I can't remember if what I've written makes any sense. Hopefully my next post will be when I'm not so exhausted. If you were completely confused as to what I actually wrote, (and don't worry I am too), maybe the next few pictures will help clear things up.







 
 
 


Extra side note: Happy Birthday Hebe! Guess you're famous now ;)

♥ Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: