Search This Blog

Saturday, 7 December 2013

(Blogmas: Day 7) Pride

You all may know that Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite, favourite books. I won't talk about the book too much incase some of you aren't so keen on English literature, but it's a good book - promise. But what I will tell you, as you can guess from the title, both Darcy and Elizabeth have some pride (and prejudice) in their own characters.

While Darcy might have a bit too much pride (although he's got the goods to back it up) I realised the other day, that maybe I need to learn from Darcy myself. See, my school is offering scholarships for the final two years. I've always really wanted a scholarship, not just because it probably looks good on my CV, but because truth be told, I'm a hard worker. I do clubs, I help in the drama department, I'm helpful at my fencing club and I genuinely try in most of what I do. But I'll be honest, nobody has ever realised this (except maybe one or two people) and I was really hoping this scholarship would be some form of recognition that I wanted and would kind of be "the big break" that I wanted. But a rumour spread round that they only gave scholarships to people who were applying to different schools in order to persuade them to stay. This put me in quite a good mood, as you can imagine that I would assume I would get one. But another rumour went round that the original rumour wasn't true in the first place.

I told this to my mum and the fact that I really wanted a scholarship and she said to me: Have some pride in yourself. Don't just accept it because you really want it. If they're only giving it to you based on the fact that you're applying for a different school, maybe it's better if you don't get it. It would be better to get it based on actual merit and all the hard work you've done. It only really means something if you fight for it."

So today, I am asking you in whatever future endeavours you may encounter, take some pride in your abilities and don't settle for anything less than you deserve. And remember what my mother told me:

It only really means something if you fight for it.






♥ Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: