Search This Blog

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

January 1st: New Year's Resolutions

Ah New Year's Resolutions. The resolutions of the new year. A chance for a fresh start and for all your reflective-ness (let's assume that's a word) to begin. You've heard it a thousand time before. Be it from your great-aunt, your mum, your dad, your dog, your best friend, that really hot guy in the movie or even that really drunk boat host of the New Year's Party - " The New Year is a time to reflect on the past. To be thankful for all the memories, to put the past behind you and to look forward to the start of a fresh new year." And as much as I hate to agree with the drunk boat host guy, it's definitely true.

Remember all the ups and downs you've been on this year and remind yourself of where you are now and how far you've come. Remember when you were in that situation and you thought it was going on forever? Keep in mind that now, you're fine and you made it though. And that's the important part. You survived 2013. You go Glen Coco.

People always say *puts on accent* "A new year means a new me." Which frankly my brother and I aren't too keen on. You don't have to transform and become a new you. (Unless you want to which is up to you, of course.) Instead of trying to completely change yourself, in 2014, be you, but just be a better version of you. I mean that's what we all want to achieve right? A better version of ourselves. Not someone new or perfect, just the best version of you that you can possibly be.


Alors, I've decided to share my New Year's resolutions with you all today. Not only to give you a little insight into what I'm trying to improve myself in, you nosy little creatures (I mean that with love by the way), but to help you when writing yours and maybe even to offer you a little guidance on our journey together. After all, 87% of people work better when they have someone working along side them towards the same goal. (statistic was made up.) So here we go!

  • Take My Blog Places. Now you can apply this to whatever activity you guys like to do, but for me I want to take my blog somewhere. I'd like to gain more followers (let's say at least 5) before the end of 2014. In 2014, I hope to make my blog better, to post not only better ideas but these ideas having been written to a higher standard. I just want to keep making progress in my blog and see where it takes me.
 
  • Exercise When I Can. One of the things I've been saying to myself throughout all of 2013 was "I'm going to get in shape" for a multitude of reasons and for a while I did. But it didn't last very long so I'm going to just try and keep myself going. Instead of saying "Target one: get a flat stomach," which I know is something that won't motivate me at all, I'm going to say, "Exercise when I can." It puts less pressure on the main outcome and at the same time motivates me in small little steps.
 
 
  • Take Better Care Of My Body. Now whether that would be sleeping earlier/more, eating healthier foods, drinking more water, whatever it is, I want to start taking care of myself. It's always difficult sleeping early when there's school work to be done, but even something small like making sure you get some fresh air everyday can make a huge impact on your health. I think I'm blessed to have a working body so I should treasure and take care of what I've been given.
 

 

  • Take More Risks. Having just said to take better care of my body, I don't mean jumping off cliffs and becoming an adrenaline junkie. (Although you can put that on your list if you want to.) I mean in class or in your writing or in your work, take a risk. If you get that gut instinct that maybe what you're thinking is right, just say it. I can't tell you the amount of times I've thought of a right answer and because I was too afraid of getting it wrong, I never said it. But there was a point in 2013 where I voiced my opinion on a topic amongst my classmates, and one of my friends who had the same view as me said, "I really admire you for saying that because I agree with you." And that has to be one of my fondest memories from 2013. So this year, I'm going to believe in myself and have confidence in my opinions.
  • Get More Organised. This is an extremely difficult one for me as I am not brilliant at being organised. In addition with the next resolution, I am going to attempt simple things like doing my homework the day I get it. Nothing crazy that I know I'll never do like do my homework the minute I get home, but something achievable. I've just started making daily to-do lists and I really encourage it if any of you are trying to be more organised for 2014.
 
 

(Images from BeyondBeautyStar)

  • Promise Myself to Try. Any of you reading this, I want this to be one thing that you put down on your resolutions list. Promise yourself that you're going to try. We can all be our own toughest critic, I know I definitely am, and so it's important that we keep ourselves in check with what we want to achieve. Doesn't matter what you're going to do, just promise yourself you will at least try. You know yourself better than anyone and you know what you're capable of, so at least believe in yourself and try.
  • Not Let Things Get Me Down So Easily/Be Stronger. Because I pretty much do everything with my heart on my sleeve, it's very difficult and frustrating when things go wrong or I don't understand something the first time. But I'm going to try and not let myself be so sad so easily. I think a part of my being frustrated so easily is due to the lack of care I've been giving to my health so that is partly to blame. But the other half is most likely due to that side of me that makes me want to get everything right. I just need to remember that even if you want to get 95% of what you learn right, it still takes time to understand it all. And even if I do get sad and frustrated again, in 2014 I'm going to continue to teach myself to get back up better, to learn from my mistakes and be stronger than before.   
 

  • Live and Take Charge. Previously for a long period of time, I was pretty miserable and I let other people inadvertently control what I felt and how I looked at myself by how they treated me. And I've realised that that's not a healthy way to live and not how anyone should have to live. That area of my life felt like I was just existing and not really living. I let other people control my own outlook on life and it made me a very sad person and I hated being that way. So in 2014, I've vowed to take control of my own life and to live and do the things that I love and that I actually want to do.
 
Perhaps the one other thing to take away today is just to give 2014 a real kick. I want each and every one of you to be the best you can be, so much that 2014 isn't going to know what hit it.

2014 is your year. What will you achieve?
 
 
♥ Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: